SDA Design Studio
The SDA has an in-house Design Studio comprised of dedicated architects and engineers who are responsible for the following:
- In-House Design – The Design Studio is responsible for working directly with SDA school districts in the development of bridging design documents for advancement of projects through a design-build project delivery approach.
This is accomplished through the following phases of design activities:
- Program-Concept Design – Working closely with district educators, the Design Studio establishes the required number, type, and size of spaces to be included in the project. The Design Studio then develops a conceptual design which establishes the organization of the target space program on the project site.
- Schematic Design – Prepares educational specifications and schematic design documents, including site and floor plans and detailed room layouts for district and New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) approval.
- Bridging Documents Design – Develops project-specific performance specifications, based on SDA Materials and Systems Standards, and develops additional drawings, including building elevations, to define the project in sufficient detail for procurement of design-build services.
- Outside Design Services – The Design Studio provides support in the procurement and management of outside design consultants. These support activities include the development of project-specific Design Consultant Scopes of Services and the review of all related design submissions.
Design Standards – Development and maintenance of all SDA Design Standards, including:
- SDA Materials and Systems Standards
- SDA Performance Specifications
- Design Bulletins
- Other SDA Design Standards