The exiting University 6 Middle School is a 4-story building, originally built as a Vocational School. The school was constructed in 1924 with an addition built in 1951. The existing square footage is 114,711.
The project called for the complete renovation of the existing building. The school houses kindergarten through 5th grade students, and the Irvington Board of Education offices on the 4th floor. The 1st three stories house 43 classrooms. The renovated elementary school is able to accommodate 627 students.
DMR Architects designed the project. The general contractor for the main construction package was Bergen Engineering Company. The main construction package was completed in spring 2007. Bovis Lend Lease managed the project.