The 43,349-square-foot brick Augusta Elementary School consisted of a 3-story 1913 building, a 2-story 1950 building, and a small annex. To allow for construction of the new pre-K, 363 kindergarten through 5th grade students attending classes at Augusta transferred to Saint Leo's.
This project involved demolition of the annex and the 3-story 1913 building. A 2-story 32,000-square-foot addition was built on the existing site and approximately 16,066 square feet of the existing 2-story 1950s building was totally renovated. A new kitchen was added. The majority of the classrooms are located in the new addition while the existing 1950s building will be the core curriculum and administration wing. The school has a 435-student capacity and 27 classrooms. The facility houses Pre-kindergarten students for the entire district.
Early package construction work at the Augusta Street School was completed in the spring of 2005. The main construction package commenced in September 2005. The school was open in September 2007.
DCM Architecture Inc. designed the project; Chanree Construction Company was the general contractor. Bovis Lend Lease managed the project.